top of page


Experience Matters

Craig has more than 5,000 hours of flying and instructing with 3,000+ in gyros alone.

First-Time Pilots

First-time pilots should plan on 20-25 hours of instruction.

Already a pilot?

Transitioning pilots will need an average of 10-15 hours of CFI training and a proficiency checkride by a different CFI.  

FAA Requirements for a Sport Pilot License 

  • Be 17 years old or older

  • Be able to read, write, and understand English

  • Have a current U.S. driver license 

  • Pass an FAA sport pilot knowledge written test

  • Complete a minimum of 20 hours of training in a gyroplane.

  • Pass an FAA sport pilot flight checkride.

Pricing Information: 

  • $110/30-minute Introductory flight

  • $250/hour in instructor's aircraft

  • $150/hour in trainee's aircraft


How do I become a pilot?

  • All first time LSA pilots are required to be trained by a qualified FAA Certified Flight Instructor (CFI). 

  • You will need to obtain a Student Pilot Certificate from any FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) or from a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE). 


What are the requirements?

  • You must be 16 years of age. 

  • You must possess a valid state-issued  driver license or photo ID (or a 3rd class airman medical certificate).

  • Be able to read, speak and write the English language. 


What will I learn?

Accoring to the FAA's Federal Aviation Rule 61.113 you must receive and log ground and flight traiing from an authorized CFI instructor on the following areas of operation (as appropriate): 

  • Preflight preparation

  • Preflight procedures

  • Airport, seaplane base, and gliderport operations, as applicable.

  • Takoffs (or launches), landings, and go-arounds.  

  • Performance maneuvers, and for gliders, performance speeds. 

  • Ground reference maneuvers (not applicable to gliders and balloons).

  • Navigation

  • Emergency operations.

  • Post-flight procedures.  

​How many hours must I fly to receive a gyroplane rating? 

  • Fifteen hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a gyroplane. 

  • Three hours of flight training on those areas of operation specified in Sec. 61.311 preparing for the practical test within 60 days before the date of the test.

  • Five hours (minimum) of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.311 to include two hours of cross-country flight training. 

  • Ten takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

  • One solo cross-country flight of at least 50 nautical miles total distance, with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations.   


Who can recommend me for the practical exam?

Only your certified flight instructor (CFI) is authorized to recommend you for a practical exam.  You must receive a logbook endorsement stating that you have met the requirements for Section 61.309, 61.311, and 61.313.  

When should I take the knowledge exam?

It is recommended that you take the test after your solo cross-country and before your CFI signs off.  You should begin studying for the knowledge test from the first lesson.  

bottom of page